Sunday, June 3, 2012

Reminisce Childhood thru the Work of Art

          For my project #5/field trip#6 i was told to take a role of the curator. The theme of my exhibit is reminisce childhood thru the work of art. I have chosen artworks from different sections with different artistes from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. When I got to the museum I was still undecided of what my theme should be. It took me a while to decide what I wanted. I took a lot of pictures of different things.  When I saw pictures of families it quickly reminded me of my childhood and how it was like when I was younger. I gather up all artworks from different artists that related to my theme. However, there were three in specific that really related to my theme.

             The first artwork was Mary Cassatt’s “Young Mother Sewing”. Back when I was younger my mother used to sew to make clothing and sell them. She would sit in her chair and sew till she finished her clothing. I remember always being with her when she sews. I never wanted to be apart from her. Another artwork that reminds me of my childhood was William Sawaya artwork called “Calla" Side Chair. This chair somewhat looks like the little chairs I used to sit on in daycare. This chair reminded me of my days in daycare. My days’ being in daycare was amazing play, eat, and sleep. I loved being at the daycare. Looking at this chair made me reminisce those days. Even though I don’t quite remember all I have pictures of me being in daycare.  The other artwork that really related to my theme was Pierre Bonnard “From the balcony”.  I love how Bonnard drew kids playing around in a backyard or garden place.  This artwork relates to my theme in a way because it reminds me of how when I was younger I would always be outside playing with my siblings. My mother would always yell out the balcony to be careful, or to come inside already.
            My childhood was amazing and seeing these pictures made me actually want to do back in time and live those moments once again.  All of these three artworks tend to have the same purpose/meaning which is remembering how childhood looked like. How it was being kids. Looking at these artworks made me love my childhood. When I looked at these works I would stare at it and smile. Remembering all those good times I had. That’s why all of these three artworks relate to my theme. I feel like one of the meaning of these artworks to show viewers a similarity of how their childhood was like. These artworks from different artist had the same significance which was to show how childhood was like. After looking at these artworks I really wish I was back in my childhood again.
Mary Cassatt. "Young Mother Sewing".1900. The American Wing.
William Sawaya. “Calla” Side Chair. 2001.Modern Design 
Pierre Bonnard. “From the Balcony”. 1909. Modern and Contemporary Art.
Seymour Joseph Guy. "The Contest for the Bouquet: The Family of Robert Gordon in their New York Dining-Room", 1866.American Paintings and Sculptures.

John Hoppner. “The Sackville Children”. 1796. European Painting.
Edgar Degas. “Dancer, Pink and Green”.1890. European Paintings
Pierre Bonnard. “The Children’s Meal”.  1895. Modern and Contemporary Art

Maurice Brazil Prendergast. “Picnic by the Inlet”. 1918-1923. American Impressionalism
William Merritt Chase, “At the Seaside”. 1892. American Impressionism

Édouard Manet. “The Monet Family in Their Garden at Argenteuil”. 1874. European Painting. 
Marcel Breuer. “Armchair”. 1922. Modern and Contemporary Art.

Pierre Bonnard.“The Checkered Tablecloth”.1916. Modern and Contemporary Art. 

Pierre Bonnard. “The Family of Claude Terrasse”, 1899. Modern and Contemporary Art.
Andrea del Sarto. “The Holy Family with the Young Saint John the Bapist”. 1922. European Paintings
Bessie Potter Vonnoh. “A Young Mother”.1905.The American Wing 

No comments:

Post a Comment