Thursday, May 24, 2012

Chelsea Galleries Reaction



For our fifth trip we assigned to go to Chelsea Galleries located in downtown Manhattan. Unlike other museums I’ve visited where all the galleries were located all in one building, these galleries were separate. I had to go around Chelsea in order to see all these galleries that not only were being displayed for pleasure but for luxury. The gallery that I really like and found interesting was Greene Naftali located on 508 West 26th St. And the gallery that didn’t quite caught my attention was David Zwirner Gallery which was located in 533 West 19th St.


I found that exhibit of Greene Naftali by Rachel was very interesting. Her art works were very creative. I love how she created pieces which we normally wouldn’t place together into an artwork. This is what I call an art work unique. What I also love about her artworks is how she tends to be so colorful. I would definitely buy her art works. I’m the type of person that loves to see bright colors in my house instead of dark. This leads to why I don’t like Yan Pei-Ming artworks in David Zwirner gallery.

Yan Pei-Ming artworks such as “All Crows Under The Sun Are Black” is creative in the way he only used black oil-paint to create his artwork however, these are the type of drawings that causes me depression. I definitely wouldn’t buy his art works. I wouldn’t waste my money on something that I know I wouldn’t be happy. Furthermore I do believe his art works are very creative in the way that you had to stay focus on the piece in order to figure out what’s really in the art work since he only used black to draw everything in is art work. I just find it too dark to have it hung up on the wall in my house. I’m the type of person who loves to see everything colorful. I just don’t like anything that has to do with black.

Among these galleries there were many more that I liked and didn’t like. Each of these artist had their own form of art that was different from each. Their creativity made each of these art works very unique. Some could be invested but other just isn’t worth it. Walking around in Chelsea Gallery I experienced it different compared to the others museums I visited. Chelsea Gallery is very interesting. For those who are willing to invest good go to these galleries. Maybe you’ll find something you like ;)



Rachel Harrison
"Lay of the Land"
2008
Rachel Harrison
“Zombie Rothko”
2011
Yan Pei-Ming
"all crows under the sun are black"
2012

Yan Pei-Ming
"Gadhafi’s Corpse"
2011

No comments:

Post a Comment