Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sculpture Center Reaction



For our 4th field trip, we went to visit the Sculpture Center down in Long Island. I must say this visit was beyond different compared to the other museums i've visit. This museum was small however the artworks had hugemuget space. Here i saw  "Bill Bollinger: The Retrospective" exhibit in which focused on the space & architectural of its artwork. I've chosen 3 works of art that i liked and caught my eyes in the Sculpture Center.
One of the work was the rusty "Wheelbarrows". Filled with water in front of a big garage was what made this particular artwork was very interesting in the way it was placed and loaded with. It showed how the work was to pick up water into for work or for any needs in a farm of warehouse. If this artwork was to be placed in a different place it would still have the same effect. When I saw this in the sculpture center i just smiled. This artwork reminds me of my childhood when i lived in DR. I remember how my siblings and I would carry plants, platains, animals and sometimes we would ride in it. The wheelbarrow was my favorite. 
The second work of Bill Bollinger was the "Cyclone Fence" which was twisted 180 degree Once i walked in the place this was the first thing that caught my attention. Maybe because of how it was installed or maybe because it was right in the middle of the floor. In other words it was an eye catcher to once you enter. It had a unique architecture. Since the place was a builidng that look like a warehouse and big space it gave thsi artwork a better view. If this particular artwork in put in different museum in which is smaller, it doesn have the same affect it has in the sculpture center. I find that the way its installed in the sculpture center was a site-specific work.
The third work was the "Droplight". This artwork was simply a wire and a lightbuld. When i saw this laying on the floor it quickly reminded me of my father. My father had this type of artwork at his job. And while he was working underneath a car i would quickly grab it to help my father see underneath the car. This artwork is very unique. I've never seen this type besides my father's shop. In addition this type of artwork shows that it was a type of item used in a warehouse.
All of these 3 artworks were very unique and creative. These artworks all seems to interact in a way becasue they all seem to be part of the warehouse. Because of the installation of these artwork the space around them make them stand out more. Instead of being all cluttered together, like in some museums, they are widely spread out allowing us to focus on one particular artwork at a time. 



Bill Bollinger
"Untitled"
1970

Bill Bollinger
"Cyclone Fence"
1968

Bill Bollinger
"Drop Light"
1969

No comments:

Post a Comment